Our advice: make first aid your first choice
My daughter has put louse treatment onto the cat! Is it safe?
We received this call just last month. A small child had regularly watched Mum apply the flea and worm protection I prescribe safely to the cat. She herself had the leave-in shampoo against nits.
How could she possibly know that it might be poisonous to the cat? She thought she was being helpful.
Luckily Mum was fast on the uptake and immediately called us.
Up-to-date advice on risks
We take many calls like this, often about some obscure potential poisons. Luckily we don’t have to memorise an encyclopaedia of toxins – we have the Veterinary Poisons Information Service.
Since 1992 their team of specialists have been providing a 24-hour phone service, offering up to date advice on risks, treatment and likely outcomes following a potentially toxic insult to an animal. They collect and keep data from all round the world and share it with GPs like myself.
And now this service is available directly to you, the pet owner.
If your pet is exposed to a potential poison you can call 01202 509 000 the Animal Poison Line 24 hours a day.
Calls cost £20 from 8am to 8pm on Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays), and £30 outside these hours.
What would you do if your pet collapsed?
To help you, I’ll be running a series of courses for you to learn Pet First Aid. They’ll take just two hours of your time, but may help you to save your pet’s life in an emergency.
As part of the course, you’ll receive a First Aid certificate (subject to passing your exam), refreshments during the course, and tuition from a vet with several decades of experience.
Looking after a pet means being able to respond quickly when they become sick – and this course will give you the tools you need to act instinctively and correctly.
To find out more and book your place, click here