Introducing your pet to a new diet
When changing your pet’s diet, do it gradually to avoid stomach upset, follow these simple steps to ensure the transition is as smooth as possible for your pet.
- Introduce your pet to the new diet gradually over 10-14 days
- Begin by introducing about 10% of the new diet, mixed with 90% of the existing diet.
- Gradually increase the proportions of the new diet each day until you are feeding all new diet.
- Feed only your pet's diet – don’t be tempted to introduce treats or human foods to encourage the pet.
- If your pet is especially fussy or wary of his new diet, try introducing the food by hand as a treat to start with.
- Remember to provide a bowl of fresh water at all times.
- Speak to your vet or vet nurse if you need further help or advice about feeding your pet.